Author Topic: Jewelry Craft-along Part B  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
Jewelry Craft-along Part B
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »
 :)  Bracelet Continuation

It's time to experiment with the toggle closures.  A toggle closure has a ring and a bar.  The bar is pushed through the ring endwise and then turned so it is crosswise and snug against the ring.

Each toggle part has a small ring attached to it.

I am using nylon beading thread to tie the braid ends.  It comes on a bobbin-size spool.  (Not monofilament.)  May try a wire wrap if I can decide on what wire to use.

I tried to knot the thread at the braid underside so it wouldn't show and then tie it to the small ring part of the toggle ring .

The toggle bar  also has a small ring part.    When I tied the thread to that, there wasn't enough flex in the connection to turn the bar and get it  through the ring.  Time to try adding a jump ring.

I had not cut the thread, so it was possible to take it loose.  I then attached a jump ring to the bar and tied the thread to that.  Still not enough flex.  So once again I took the thread loose.  Attached a second jump ring and tied the thread to that.  It worked with 2 jump rings.

The jump rings are small.  It would be better to use larger jump rings. 

I will daub a little glue over the knots.  Maybe try a color Sharpie to camouflage the thread.   ;)

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Re: Jewelry Craft-along Part B
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »
Garnet thank you for describing all the way you have tried. It will save us time knowing what didn’t work and what may work next.   

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:23:38 AM »
I just came across the following link on various Jewelry Clasps

Click here => Jewelry Clasp Designs
There is an excellent diagram of a Lobster Claw there. I've found them easy to put on & take off as long as they are large enough. I'm also interested in using snaps as connectors on fabrics.

One type that I didn't see shown was the elastic cord. Often on a spool, in a semi-clear or many different colors and various widths, elastic cord can be used in a variety of ways to extend or lengthen the connections on a bracelet. One way is to make a loop of the thicker elastic cord and sew it into a bar tack of some fabric and then attached to either a solid o-ring, split ring or coil, etc. I wouldn't trust it to a jump ring. Here's a good description of of Jump rings vs Split rings...
Jump-Rings-vs-Split-Rings-for-Charms-and-Other-Jewelry

Just thought these links might help. :)

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:03:58 AM »
 :) Good links with good photos, diagrams, and info CL.  TFS

I will try a larger lobster claw and see if I can make that work.  The one I used was too small and difficult for me to manage with one hand.  It was even difficult for DH to do it with 2 hands.

I will use a magnetic clasp next.  I've really enjoyed a necklace with a magnetic clasp.

Caution: Slide ... do not pull ... to open a magnetic clasp.

Caution:  When I was driving and removed my seat belt to get out of the car, somehow my necklace was pulled off.  It must have been caught as the belt slid by a jacket collar somehow.  I got into the store and noticed it was gone.  I quickly retraced my steps and didn't see it.  I dashed to the car and checked inside.  Fortunately, it had dropped to the floor beside the driver's seat.  But I was unaware when it happened.  It was one of the few pieces of good jewelry that I have.  It is my most frequently worn necklace,  made by a friend in NM, one of a kind.  I would have been really sad if I had lost it.  So I am very careful with it.  The clasp doesn't seam to slide apart easily.  But with the right motion of seat belt across a collar, it happened without either my DH or me noticing.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:19:29 PM »
Garnet, perhaps you would benefit from using a safety clasp or safety chain on your jewelry. I learned a lot by doing an image search of "safety clasp necklace".
Note: Just go to http://google.com & type in Safety Clasp Necklace, click on any picture that you may want to know more about. The click takes you to a mostly black portion of the page. Just above the center of the mostly black page, slightly to the right side, are the choices [Visit page] and [View image]. Click on [Visit page] where often there is more information.

Visit a few of the sites of the images that picqued your interest. Be an in-depth researcher and look at lots and lots of images to see the magnificent assortment of safety clasps. They are recommended for magnetic clasps too. There wasn't as much variety when I searched for safety CHAINS, but sometimes that is all you need.

Also you might want to stop in at a few better jewelry stores and ask what they recommend for safety clasps. You don't have to buy them, but you might want to keep an eye out for costume jewelry in the thrift & antique shops you and DH visit. If you have a favorite type of clasp, buy any old piece of jewelry to get it. Then you have some beads or rhinestones to use later as well. LOL

Hope this reduces the chances of losing a treasured gift. :)

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:34:49 PM »
Here are some links to wire-wrapping and wire-etc.  LOL

One that looks like it has extensive info is...
www.how-to-make-beaded-jewelry.com/wire-wrapping-techniques.html
wire wrapping techniques - How to make beaded jewelry
Learn the basic wire wrapping techniques for making beaded jewelry.
...when working with wire, consider: wire sizes (gauge), wire hardness and types of wire.

Also:
Wigjig.com › For Beginners › Basics
http://www.wigjig.com/for-beginners/basics/835-wire-choosing
Almost all jewelry wire in the US is sold in sizes defined by the American Wire Gauge. ... Half-hard wire makes crisp angles and wraps around itself well, but because it is ... on the advantages and disadvantages of several types of jewelry wire.

Don't you just LOVE how we can type in a few letters, click enter and get a whole EDUCATION on anything? I think I'll go read on the last site listed above and see what kind of wire to get for strength and holding it's shape so I can make clasps with it.

TTFNow

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 07:00:12 PM »
 :News1: :( Actually, there's no news to report.  So sorry.  No progress to share.  Going through stacks of boxes, sorting, reorganizing, cleaning, clearing.  Getting the covered patio cleaned and tables and cabinet ready to paint.  Doing garage and outside work beginning at 5:30.  Doing a little to spruce the yard.  Then working inside after 2-3 hours.  Except it was more like 6 hours in the garage, and we overdid it.  You know how that goes ... you have to take time to recharge.

A reno on a large square frame is in progress.  The frame will be painted and filled with a neutral, coarse-textured fabric.  Various wall quilts can be displayed on it like a bulletin board.  It will go on the wall in the studio and provide a background for photographing crafts.  Hopefully, the better lighting and a camera setup on the cutting table will make better pictures possible.

A different picture got mounted in its place - a more dramatic dark frame with a subdued picture that coordinates with everything else better than the New Mexico colors of chili-pepper red, gold, and turquoise in the wall quilt.  Two other pictures got hung. 

I do have a bracelet ready to braid. So I hope to have a picture in a few days.  As Paul Harvey would say, Stay tuned for :News1:

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »
 :2-wave1:  *BRACELET PICTURE *

I gave it to my lovely sister-in-law.  It has fused aqua beads and two different hand made cords.  I think if you right click on the picture, you can see an enlargement.

Thank you CL for the idea.  :smitten:

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »
BEAUTIFUL!!  Simply beautiful!!  I'm sure your sister-in-law was thrilled.....I know I would be!!!

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:43:58 PM »
It took continued effort by DH and me to get this picture.  We decided to move the patio table inside and top it with porcelain tiles to make a 3x7 table for 8 and move the round table to the window looking out on the covered patio.  It was a table built to stand on, even though that wasn't the intent.  It was an inch too wide for the door and way too heavy with the 2 pedestal T legs.  So it had to be dismantled and moved in and reassembled.  Then the tiles added.  And tiles were added to another low large square table.  And decisions about furniture rearrangement.  And cleaning of the whole room. 

DH had tried a setup for picture taking.  I did get this bracelet picture taken, but the light was not good enough and the space was inconvenient.  So during all the furniture movement, a new photography setup was dreamed up.  And in order for the 3' frame with white texture insert to go on the wall in my office cubby, the framed corkboard had to come down and be hung in the guy's library space.  And then there was searching and locating and checking out a tripod and selection and checking out of camera and cable and other tasks I can't remember.

Then the 4th was coming, and I had to make coasters for DSIL and her mom.

Oh yes, DH wanted to check out the tripod height by testing something on the big square. 
So I pulled out table runners and found this one I didn't remember that matches the coasters.  You can see it too as soon as I get it resized.

Now you know the end of the saga ...  I found the camera with the bracelet shots and decided one was good enough and got it cropped.

:thankyou: for your patience.  Stay tuned for the Fireworks table runner picture ... coming next.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 11:43:28 PM »
Oh Garnet... What a beautiful bracelet that is. Its a work of art. I love the twisted cords.
What type of closure did you choose for it?  :whisper: You knew I'd ask that... :1-giggle:

Y'all have done fantasticly well, both in creating the jewelry and taking the picture. Plus you now have an impressive photography booth and display board. I love the large spool of neutral thread you placed the bracelet on. It should work well for necklace and broach photos, too. Well done, team. :1-smihearts:

Looking forward to seeing the table runner and coasters when photos are ready.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 10:25:45 AM »
Garnet the bracelet is extraordinarily beautiful, it is well worth the wait. You and your DH did as well on the photograthy too.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 08:08:04 PM »
 :2-hihand:  :Needhug:  I just had to give up on the bracelets.  For some reason, fastening the ends and attaching closures just wasn't happening.  :gpanic3:

I liked the bracelet idea.  But I ended up with an incredible assortment of stuff scattered all over the studio and just couldn't find good combinations to braid.

:tornado: I ended up having to sort everything back into storage. 

And it seemed to take up more space than when I pulled it all out.  :gconfused1:

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 08:40:34 AM »
 :2-hihand:  BUMP

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »
Garnet I know what you mean. All my bead stuff is put away too.

I have given away all the stuff I made except one bracelet. I was happy they like the things enough to want them  :1-giggle: