Author Topic: Jewelry Craft-Along  (Read 3106 times)

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Re: Jewelry Craft-Along
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 10:28:26 PM »
I am glad you all  like the pictures. I sure would love to see some more of each one of you'll stuff   ((Hint, Hint))

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 02:06:55 AM »
We can do pin cushions a little later. I'd really love to do that, but not right now.
I just don't have the time or spirit to do crafts when I have OCH basics to do. Too many boards don't have enough info in them for me to invite others to come here, so I can't take on more than this now. I also have my craft room all over the house, trying to slowly pull the bits and pieces back to one room plus a table here in the living room. I'd love ya'll to work on other things as your interest leads you, but I personally just cannot take on anything else. I'll be working on a variety of jewelry for the next month or so, maybe longer due to DGDs upcoming Upward Bound group.

(((Hugs))) All Around~!

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »
 ;)  I sounded like  pincushion-aholic, didn't I?   But honestly, I don't want you to even think about pin cushions!  No more going off on tangents like that for me!  I made a quick recovery.  A totally recovered pincushion-aholic here!

I'm back on track making bracelets and charms.  Hopefully on a fast track.  And hopefully I will soon be back ... with pics.   :D

Be charming and keep on braiding!  ;D

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »
 :) Still working on pictures.  Have camera on tripod.  DH is helping with lighting and setup. 

One bracelet is finished and ready to wear.  A second one is braided and waiting for ends and claw. 

I had to make twisted cord for one of the 3 pieces for the second bracelet.  (I gave up trying to find 9 pieces to braid.  Just using 3.)  The cord was made from 8 ft lengths of the following

3 pieces of 6-strand embroidery floss
2 metallic threads
1 holographic thread

It took a little pondering to remember how to make cord.  The pondering took longer than the twisting.   ::)

Hope to finish the second bracelet and take acceptable pictures and get them cropped and resized to post tomorrow.

Staying tuned to see everyone else's new creations.   :)

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 03:33:18 AM »

I've spent quite a bit of time going through drawers and boxes looking for fabric, craft supplies and such. So far... I've pulled fabric, clothing, crafts, odds & ends, etc. together and made a fantastic mess in the studio, although I have sorted and grouped some like items, and even put some away in organizer trays. Yay~!

Today DD & I went to the thrift store. I spent WAY too much on pretty colored tshirts and other things to braid into jewelry, in fact I think some of them will fit DGD so I'll have to wait til some time later to 'debone' the clothing. I found that two shirts I was admiring for their colors & patterns fit me, so I'll wear them for a while before they become bracelets, etc. LOL

I've gotten DD interested in making jewelry for DGD & herself, and DGD is excited now too. Tomorrow I'll go to town to get groceries, AFTER I go over their apartment where we will all three see what we come up with together. DD does a little macrome' too. I know we'll have a blast. I plan to do some 'artistic decorations' on DGD's tshirts with my Designer Sharpie Pens. They are all sorts of colors.

One other thing I got was shirts with sturdy lace to patch holes, especially in jeans There are a lot of fabrics that look great under the jeans where a hole or  tear has appeared. 8) I'll use the scraps of lace from these projects to include in some of the jewelry. Fortunately Schoolhouse Fabrics is just a few blocks up the road from DD's so we'll probably drop by there for a while to get some fancy big buttons and a few beads. I want some eyelash yarn to use with the bracelets, too. Maybe they have some sari silk strips, too. That is so pretty worked into jewelry.

Maybe we'll even take some photos. ROFL Cross your fingers.

BTW, I added a bunch of new jewelry Inspiration Pins to my Pinterest board
The Link is http://www.pinterest.com/mizmaggs/ and down near the bottom of all the boards you see the board... "Do w/Maggs"... OR just click HERE => http://www.pinterest.com/mizmaggs/~-do-w-maggs-~/

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 12:41:32 PM »
Gorgeous, breathtaking stuff at Pinterest!  TFS 

Then I got back to my stash assortment.  Some huge masses of soft decorative cord from years ago had enjoyed years of abandonment and comingling and entertwining.  What a mess!   :o

Had to settle down to a sorting, untangling, and winding session.  :(

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 12:57:34 AM »
 :o  Back to bracelets at last.  Don't know how there could be so many other things commanding attention - enough to take up most of 2 days.  I made another twisted cord and will braid 2 more bracelets tomorrow for a total of 4.  Ends will have to be finished on 2-4.  Then I hope to take pictures and get them  posted.

I've looked at so many pictures and tutorials.  Also plowed through my stash looking for fabric.  Decided to do my bracelets using mostly twisted cord and fused pearl beads.  I like the way they are turning out. 

Maybe I'll use some T shirt strips later on - if I find some T shirts at the thrift.  But I wonder if it is even possible to find one with fabric good enough for braiding and be willing to cut it into strips.  I was so picky getting some for easy stuffed bunnies, and they went right into the wardrobe.  Even found a nice pink hoodie especially for making bunnies.  Saw how nice it came out of the laundry and decided to keep it to wear.   ::)

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »
CL With all the stuff you need to do I am surprised you can even find the time to make the bracelets  But I am positive you will manage quite nicely.

Garnet I can hardly wait till you get picture of the bracelets you have done so far.

I have a couple other things finished to get pictures to post.

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 09:51:17 PM »
I had to set my bracelet making aside until I can come up with a closure that is easier to use.  I looked through a box of findings but didn't see a good alternative.  Any suggestions?

And I had to get back to other projects.  I needed a curtain to block some of morning sun coming through a glass block window.  So I'm doing a sleeve for the tension rod at the top and a bottom hem.  Have a couple of furniture projects, too.