Author Topic: Jewelry Craft-Along  (Read 3102 times)

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Jewelry Craft-Along
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:55:08 AM »
Our jewelry craft-along had begun !!!!
We would love for you to join us. We are making bracelets, jean charms mostly. I have one picture of my first jean charm right now.  I hope to get more pictures take today.

What are you working on ?

This is my first one.

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Re: Jewelry Craft-Along
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
Pictures of more jean charms.

Offline AtWitsEnd

• OCH Staff
    • Sitting Under The Family Ttree
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
OK, I've got to get in this. Don't know what it will be or when it will be done, but I'm already thinking of things
AWE  8).
"The difference between a dream and a goal, is a plan."
Check out my Etsy store:
www.etsy.com/shop/theamberdragonfly1

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:00:19 AM »
Chloe, your granddaughter will LOVE the jean charms you are making for her. They are adorable~! There are so many types and styles to make.  I'd sure like to have the images larger so we can see the detail better. hint-hint

Garnet's braided bracelet photo, with a shot of the "ingredients" are attached below. She has gone above and beyond anything I expect to do. She is an awesome and exquisite crafter.

First I'll work on some bracelets with matching jean charms (got the idea from Chloe) ::) for my 15 yo DGD who will be going to Upward Bound at VA Tech for 6 weeks this summer. 8)

Have to buy new clothes so everything will be "appropriate" and not high school show-offish. ::) I think it will be Tshirts and NOT short shorts & jeans so these will need to match what she gets to wear, think basic with a little sparkle maybe. I'll include "charms" like small sea shells & found objects, beads, etc.

Today I bought an assortment of fabrics that would add a little or a lot of sparkle to scrap tshirt material from some shirts I've recycled for this purpose. Added to that was some white baby rick-rack or however its spelled, thin satin cord, "fashion yarn" that looked more like ribbon with flashy colors in it. I need  assorted chains to add texture to these things, too. its hard to come up with casual Bling~!

AWE, you'll find OODLES of ideas for yourself AND for your potential RVing craft show business if you google "fabric braided bracelets", "fabric charm jewelry", or "jean charms". You might even see some good ideas on the board "Do w/ Maggs"...
http://www.pinterest.com/mizmaggs/~-do-w-maggs-~/
at mizmaggs on pinterest. Do your best to ignore all the quotes. I preach at her a lot with Quotes. LOL

Of course you might make a million dollars selling these quotes to parents and grandmas of teens. LOL Frankly, quotes sell pretty good in some markets. You'll need to do the research in person for the best decision, whatever you sell. You could print them as they are ordered on plain paper or let the buyer select from an assortment of scenic, or pretty colored papers, or personalized for a little more $.

You'll make even more selling them in a frame, if they want convenience or want it ready to gift. 3 Pre-made smallish sizes of frames in 6 to 10 different styles. DIY or buy them from HongKong, etc. you'll have a clear plastic cover like glass and the backing in the frames that can be hung on a nail, or set up easel style, all made into the same frame. Keep it simple until you see what the public wants, then buy in bulk. Various venues such as beach crowd shows, college crowd shows, shopping mall shows, etc might call for different types of quotes.

By the way... you might borrow from your friend Marian's ideas and have special items to sell at various holidays or seasons. Don't forget the things like the Scrabble ornaments that you sell on Etsy and those beautiful jewelry boxes.

Back to the Craft-Along... We're just doing what we want and bouncing off the inspiration of each other. We're delighted to have you join us. No gottas, no deadlines, no exchanges, just doing what we enjoy doing. I know THAT sounds mighty good to you after all you've put up with over the years~! ::) (((AWE)))

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 02:25:12 AM »
Here are a few I fell in love with while researching...

Click the photos below to enlarge them.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 02:50:07 AM »
Now then.... Fixed the attachment files. heehee

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »
 :D  Thank you to Chloe and CL for all the picture posts.  Worth 10K words!  Sorry I didn't take better pics for CL to work with.  I plan to work with my camera some more now and learn to get better detail.  Of course, the intent was just to get a quick pic to CL to prove I actually did complete something.   ;D

I was pretty clumsy trying to braid those random pieces from my stash, and didn't really intend to go public.  I have to admit I gave up trying to attach the 3 sets to the rings of the other end of the bracelet.  Figured I might not be brave enough to try to wear it as a bracelet anyway.   Decided to grab the sets and do a desperation wire wrap around all three, let the end tails dangle like a tassle,  and call it a wall charm.   ::) 

Question ... what are you using for a clasp for the jean charms?

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 09:34:30 PM »
Garnet I like what youíve done so far on your bracelet hope to see more. I have finished a few more but I havenít taken pictures yet.

I saw this blog it has a great tutorial for bracelets especially the way you can fasten them.

Dana's Fashion Blog

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 09:56:16 PM »
Chloe, are you using a "Lobster Claw" type clip-on for any of your Jean Charms? The larger ones seem perfect for belt loops, and with an O-ring they could work on bracelets in a smaller, more delicate size.

I'll probably be using an elastic piece to go around a button, or buttonhole in an extended piece of fabric on most of mine.

We probably should take a look at the various tutorials that are out there. A lot depends on how delicate the piece is.

Garnet I think the way I'd attach to a three-strand connection like you used for yours is with jump-rings, but again, I'd need to see if it is sturdy enough for that much bulk in the bracelet. The one you have might do best with three strands of pearls or something of a comparable size/weight. Much depends on the style of bracelet or charm that is being created. The beauty of making jewelry is... nothing is ever wasted.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
CL So far I have use the "Lobster Claw" for the jean charms. These are the little ones that came with the the package with the rings. and "I" pins. I haven't bought any new beading stuff this is just odds and ends I have on hand.

The pictured bracelet I even use bias tape. A couple of years ago I was making some boot bracelets. (it was the fad at the time) I found some of those beads to yesterday lol .

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »
I have a couple more Pictures If you would like to see them.
The quality isn't to good today I will blame it on my camera (but it is my unsteady hand)
The first one is a jean charm the second one is a key chain

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 12:03:20 AM »
You've done very well Chloe, and you've figured out the combination to the large & small photos. 8) Congratulations. I sure like being able to see the details.

I'm hoping to be able to do some basic bracelets this week. Our yard needs mowing badly, but DH hasn't gotten the mower going and I wore myself out trying to start it myself today. Grr... Its supposed to rain tomorrow, and Tuesday DD & I have to go out of town. DGD is receiving an achademic award at school Tuesday early evening and we're invited, this after another meeting in her behalf Late Tuesday afternoon, so that's out but maybe earlier Tuesday I can stop by the thrift stores and pick up some brightly colored tshirts to use in the bracelets. If DH hasn't got the mower running by then I'll probably pick up a few things to try making it start myself at the same time. These are the kinds of things that have to be done before I can do what I want on the bracelets. ::)

Wednesday should be okay weatherwise (I hope) so if not tomorrow, perhaps I'll get a chance to do a little work on them in between mowing the yard. I avoid saying lawn because we mow about 2 acres of our 3 acre meadow that the house sit in. LOL Lawn is smallish to me but YARD is Bigger. LOL "You mean I have to mow the whole yard?" are words I recall from my youth.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 02:42:23 PM »
 :) I tried braiding a combination for a bracelet and thought it looked pretty.  But I wanted a picture of the twisted cord in the braid and the threads used to make it.  So I took the braid apart   And I needed a display board.  And DH gave me a different camera to test to see if i could get better resolution.  Looks like it's working ... and is easier for me to operate.  Then I spent some time finding the findings.  Hooray!  There were claws.

And now this morning we were clearing the yard before sunrise.  Well, it's not a lawn because there's no grass and it's not acres, so it's not a yard either.  Anyway, I then spotted some pruning to be done.  And then DH spotted some more.  And soon there were bags of debris and piles of branches to be gathered.  Then, as we lost the shade, it was time for coffee break.

But there will be a finished bracelet sometime soon now.   ;D

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 03:52:15 PM »
LOL ROFL... Garnet you are a hoot girlfriend. Okay so you prompted me to actually look up the definitions of LAWN and YARD. From several sources, ah-hem... I have deduced that "LAWN" refers to GRASS and "YARD" refers to a measure of the land which might have a house built upon it, which might, but not necessarily have a section of grass around it. I'd like to suggest that the amount of time, effort, etc. that each of us feels we must dedicate to the upkeep of our surroundings is probably equally challenging. LOL
(I didn't mean to aggrandise my chores.) :-[ LOL

I sure wish we could all sit together and demonstrate how we do what we do with our crafting. It would be so much fun.

Looking forward to seeing more of multi-media jewelry from you folks. Who else needs some motivation to make something pretty &/or useful for yourselves?

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »
  :) Hi Ho and happy Hump Day!  Chloe, nice way you are displaying your charms on a glove.  Maybe that will work for my bracelet.

But first ... there was a tangent day.  I went plumb off on a tangent.  Saw these cute felt crafts.  Saw cute pin cushions.  Saw how easy it they looked.  One was built on a bottle cap.  One on a tuna can.  I had finally gotten one of those person proof  (child proof) caps off a Rx bottle.  I had to resort to pliars with the previous one.  Tore it off, I did!  Felt so good to tear that cap off.  Felt good to get this last one off without pliars ... in tact.  And so it became the base for a pin cushion.

Now this wasn't to be any ordinary industrial strength pin cushion.  It was going to be a cute mini pin cushion.  With cute embroidery stitches.  And I was lost in floss until it was finished. 

OK, I can get back to the bracelet now.   ;)