Author Topic: Think about it before you throw it out: Newspapers  (Read 1354 times)

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Think about it before you throw it out: Newspapers
« on: February 20, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »
  Newspapers

I found out the other day from one of our members that -----

Recycling a 3-foot-high stack of newspapers can save an entire tree

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Think about it before you throw it out
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »
My DH is going through his clothes this spring, getting rid of clothes he doesn’t wear any more or are too small.

Some will be given away, but the others I am going through for recycling.

I remove buttons, some zippers, and cotton material used for quilts or rags.

I am working on a blue jean quilt too.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
Re: Think about it before you throw it out: Newspapers
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »
Recycling shirts ... who hasn't been faced with shirts or other garments evicted from the closet.  The collars, cuffs, and elbows too worn to repair.  Favorite shirts already reclaimed with a couple of rows of zigzag to hold the layers together for another year and even that is wearing away. 

There was a time when it was easy to start a box of PAINT AND WORK  clothes.  Then we started a second.  Guess what!  We reached the point where there were more old discards in the PAINT AND WORK boxes in the closet than wearable clothes. 

Anyway, not to go off wandering down memory lane.  There are some shirts destined for the discard pile that still have good fabric portions and are maybe brand new or like new. Size outgrown or wrong size, for example.   I have bought some shirts at the thrift dollar day for the fabric. (The brand new or like new start out priced the same  as the flimsy beyond useful, and occasionally the really good ones haven't sold and get gathered to later be sold by the pound if no one buys them on dollar day.  That's where I come to the rescue!)

OK, when it's time for fabric retrieval from our shirts in the recycle pile, we need to focus on task attack!  :)

Want to learn to DEBONE  a shirt in a few minutes?  Bonnie Hunter is your gal!  She has a video where she does just that.  And she is so delightful that I watched it a second time just for fun.  And then deboned my first shirt almost as quickly as she did.  All major useful pieces folded in a neat stack and the miscellaneous pieces in a pile for potential use and the rest in the trash bag.

Now the deboning method can be used for the well worn shirts, too.  The idea is to retrieve portions for rags and get them cut to useful sizes and ready to use.  And the useless portion in the trash bag.

So if you try deboning a shirt, let us know how it works out for you.   ;D

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
Awesome info Garnet. In order to give credit where credit is due and help our readers find more of Bonnie Hunter's brilliant sewing/quilting methods and tips, here is a link to her Home Page...
http://quiltville.com/ 
and I'm using the embed link from her page to show her youtube video on Deboning a Shirt....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zS-09AYE0fM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

uh-oh~! I have to find the setting to change so I can embed the code. May take me a while. Gotta get to town ASAP. eeek
...for now try this link...
www.youtube.com/embed/zS-09AYE0fM 

GREAT, THAT LINK WORKS~!  ENJOY~!

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
I agree CL garnet and Bonnie Hunter has it going on.

Getting the springs out of old box mattresses,
 because you can use them for several years to protect seedlings in the garden,
 and/or make trellises. They aren't beautiful, but they are sturdy, and last at least 5 years even in rough weather.