Author Topic: Block Quilt  (Read 891 times)

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Block Quilt
« on: August 04, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »
I have started on one of the quilts I want to do for Christmas. The main color is purple it does have little specks of white in it ; I haven’t decided own the sashing color yet. I am machine embroidering something in each square. I am making 9” squares.  I am thinking it will be about a single bed size mostly for coverlet type of quilt.

Well let me put it this way when I run out of the purple that will help decide the size of the quilt.

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
Re: Block Quilt
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:00:03 PM »
I love purple!!  My two sisters-in-law along with their husbands made me a huge quilt for my birthday.....and it was mostly shades of purple.  Then instead of "quilting" it, they hand tied it.  They must have put in many, many hours on this but they say they really enjoyed doing it.  Because of this original quilt, they have started working on quilts for their local emergency squads to carry as well as their local police departments.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
 :claphands: Tell us about your machine, the hoop size you are using, the size of your design, and how you are stabilizing.   Are you using your machine's builtin designs?

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:44:44 PM »
EM I bet your quilt is so pretty and now think they make them to share with other.  :gthumbsup1:

Garnet it is a simple Brothers pc 150.  The hoop is 5X7 I do have 2 design cards--  one just has different designs and the other one is a singer rewriteable card.   As for as stabilers it depends on what I am doing:  I use stabilizer (tear away, one that dissolve in water or just plain tissue paper).

here is a picture of the one I made myself it is how I plan on doing this one

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 09:21:01 AM »
 :thankyou: for the picture.  It was good to see what can be accomplished with a 5x7 hoop, because that is my size. 

I got a Brother 770 ordered from WM with free shipping for store pickup.  I got it to do quilt labels, and today I will be trying to find those labels.  My SIL is taking twin quilts (made for my parents) to my 3 and 6 yr old gnieces.  My nephew has another set, and my 6 and 9 yr old gnephews visit him and sleep under those quilts.  So I'm sending labels with DSIL for her to stitch on the quilts.

The girls' quilts are all shades of pink with a little tan and cream.  Quilt tops made of doubleknit from all the garments Mom and I made for ourselves in the 60s or 70s.  Purists would never think of doubleknit quilts, but they were pretty and still used and enjoyed.  The gnieces sleep under them when they visit, but that is just a few days.  They really like the pink quilts, so SIL asked if she could take them to VA for the girls.

When my parents moved to a country home, I made the other quilts in spice tones to go with their maple furniture.  Our nephew ended up with those quilts.  He lives near the gnephews, and they sleep under those quilts when they visit their uncle.

Anyway, back to the EM.  It came with an assortment of builtin designs, frames, and alphabets.  I used the frames and alphabets for the labels. 

Then I discovered Embroidery Library and began ordering some designs.  They have some on sale ever so often for about $1.  I almost always see one - or some - that I think I can't live without.  Several times I've reached a point where I say that's it.  No more EM designs.  Haven't been able to stick to decisions, though.  I've stitched out some snowflake medallion designs, some of the first I ordered.  I'm thinking of using them for quilting squares.  Embroidery Library has free tutorials, and I think I may have seen one about that.  Some of my floral and bird designs would be fun to try on squares like your quilt.

I haven't used the EM since we moved 3 years ago.  So now it's time to retrain and use up that thread supply I acquired before moving from NM to AZ.  You have inspired me to do that!
 :1-smihearts:

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »
I have purples in my stash that I have been trying to decide how to use.  Bed quilt, wall quilt, placemats ...
I've been looking at bed quilt designs.  About the time I decide, another pretty design shows up.  :1-giggle:

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:37:27 PM »
Several of the EM designers offer some of their design free to download. If you are able to use them just search for------
 free embroidery designs also all the EM co. have free designs too.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »
Embroidery Library offers 2 free designs each month.  I order any of these that I want. 

Embroidery Designs has a big selection of free designs.  You can order 3 each month without making a purchase.  You can order more with a purchase.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 01:18:53 PM »
Thanks Garnet for the info.

I have all the squares done now just to get to the store to get the materia for the sashing and back side of the quilt . Of all the material I have I just don't have amy more purple.  :1-giggle: