Author Topic: Make a Basket from Cereal Boxes  (Read 434 times)

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
Make a Basket from Cereal Boxes
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:18:22 AM »
 :2-smbal:  Turn a cereal box into a woven basket by following this tutorial. It's easy to read and has good pictures that show just what to do.

The tutorial calls the baskets Easter baskets. But you could make some for Valentine baskets or any other special day.

This project could be a good way for kids to practice reading and following directions. There is wait time between each step for glue to dry. It might be a good idea to make more than one. While waiting for the first basket to dry, you could be working on the next ones.

Caution. The tutorial uses a craft knife to cut the cardboard, so maybe an adult should do the cutting or use scissors.

The tutorial shows cutting the top of the basket strips with scissors to make round tabs. I think I would just avoid that and weave a third row to make a taller basket.  Or make two cuts for a pointed tab.  It would be tedious even for me to round cut all those tabs.  :P
But hey, if you need a way for  little people to pass the time ...  :1-giggle:

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/44094/how-to-weave-an-easter-basket-from-recycled-boxes

I'm thinking this could be a good party activity, with favors of cookie, candy, etc to take home.  Or a good rainy day project or way to make a gift basket for a teacher a family member.   It would avoid buying a gift bag or wrapping paper.   :gthumbsup1: