Author Topic: What's cooking?  (Read 3601 times)

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
What's cooking?
« on: January 01, 2015, 04:07:52 PM »
I know many folks are traditional and eat certain foods on the first day of the new year (at least in the south) but me and my family haven't ever done that.

So are you haven't something traditional or cooking something special or....?

I'm planning on making a new to us recipe I saw on Pinterest using potato's and smoked sausage for supper tonight. I'll let you know how it comes out!
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
Re: What's cooking?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »
It was definitely a HIT with DH! And it was simple and easy.

http://recipesfromthebigbluebinder.blogspot.com/2012/08/oven-roasted-smoked-sausage-and-potatoes.html

I didn't follow the recipe exactly so here is what I did.

I used 6 potato's cut into medium chunks (a couple were on the large side but the rest were more medium)
1 large sweet onion chopped
1 pkg. of smoked sausage, casing removed and slice into rounds
garlic olive oil (probably a couple of TBLS)

amounts weren't given on the following:
salt (don't go crazy since the smoked sausage and cheese tends to be salty)
thyme (I did about a 1/4 tsp of dried thyme)
pepper and paprika (I just eyeballed it until it looked like it suited me LOL)

I put all in a large bowl and tossed to coat then spread it out on a foil lined and oiled large cooking tray. Roast at 400* for 45 minutes to an hour or until done and the potato's have browned to your liking. The recipe called for a handful of sharp cheddar cheese to be sprinkled on when done and then put back in the oven to melt. I decided to use a good sprinkling of grated pecorino/romano instead.

It was really good and fairly cheap since the potato's and sausage were bought on a good sale! I can see many possibility's with this! Oh I had joked with DH that I hoped it was good since we may be eating it for a few days and that I should have cut the recipe in half since it was the just the two of us. HA, there isn't any of it left.
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:41:36 PM »
Avia I think I would like your version better too. It really sounds good. I will save it and give it a try

Here is the original recipe just in case anyone wants to compare it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Oven Roasted Smoked Sausage and Potatoes
Serves 4
1 package of smoked sausage
(Peel if necessary, and slice into rounds)
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
5 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
olive oil
fine sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
sweet paprika
dried thyme
a handful of greated strong cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Line a large baking tray (with sides) with several sheets of foil, and drizzle with a bit of oil.  Spread the oil out over the pan.  Set aside.

Put the sausage rounds, onions and potatoes into a large bowl.  Drizzle with a couple TBS of olive oil and season to taste with salt, pepper, paprika and dried thyme.  Toss together with your hands until everything is evenly distributed.  Pour this out onto the baking tray, and spread it out as much as you can.

Place into the heated oven and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so, until the potatoes are golden brown and tender.  Turn off the oven.  Scatter the cheese over top of the cooked meat and potatoes,  Pop back into the oven a few minutes to melt the cheese.  Serve immediately.

The Big Blue Binder
-----------------------------------------

This is the first year we didn't do the traditional southern New Years dinner either.

We had a Deer Roast with roasted potatoes, Broccoli I also made gravy and homemade biscuits.
Fruit Cake will be later if anyone wants some.

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
Chloe~ I haven't had deer roast in ages. DH usually just keeps the backstrap out of the deer he gets and grinds the rest for making jerky.

We were both not feeling up to doing or eating much so we did fish sticks and French fries in the oven  :gchef2: LOL, maybe I'll do better tomorrow!
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 06:13:20 PM »
We did a little better with supper tonight!

DH has been wanting to try a recipe for grilling steak using whiskey in the marinade or glaze. We decided to just use a marinade instead of both the first time. It was good but a tad salty, so next time I'll cut back on the salt and make a glaze to put on it. So for supper tonight we had:

grilled homegrown beef steak
steamed broccoli
cheesy pasta dish (from a box)
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
avia does the whiskey help make the meat more tender like vinegar :gquestion2:

I also cut back on the salt in all the marinades I do, especially when I make corned deer.

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 04:45:20 PM »
Chloe~ I'm not sure if it for tenderizing or flavor or both  :1-giggle: But it was tender!

Ugh, I don't what is up with me and salt lately. I made "roasted cabbage steaks" today and I think it would have been delicious if I hadn't over salted them.

DH made hamburger stroganoff
DD2 made mashed potato's
I made roasted maple carrots and cabbage steaks.
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 08:01:40 PM »
Store bought will be on our menu tonight

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 07:35:11 PM »
Chloe~ We do that sometimes too! We usually throw a little extra cheese on  :1-giggle:

Tonight we had baked salmon fillets, leftover potato's and carrots.

Went through the fridge earlier to see what we have on hand and what needs to be used up this week. Now I need to try and figure out a menu which I'm horrible at  :gpanic3:
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 05:01:17 PM »
avia does the whiskey help make the meat more tender like vinegar :gquestion2:

I also cut back on the salt in all the marinades I do, especially when I make corned deer.

We soak ours overnight in 7-Up to tenderize and remove any "gamey" taste that might remain.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
Good idea EM. I've seen recipes using Coke or Dr. Pepper but never 7-UP.

Tonight we'll be having big salads with the baby greens, grape tomato's, pepper, onion, grilled chicken, cheese and whatever else I can find in the kitchen that needs to be used up!
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
I made a nice big pot of beef stew tonight. Perfect meal for such a cold evening!
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 07:30:49 PM »
We had leftover beef stew the next night too!

I was planning on making potato soup last night but it got too late so I just scrambled some fresh from the henhouse eggs and made some toast instead.

I did manage to get the potato soup made tonight though and it really hit the spot, especially for DH. He's been working outside all day cutting wood, moving wood, feeding cattle, and other farm stuff. I added a pack of the vac packaged leftover Thanksgiving Spiral Ham from the freezer to the soup and it made it even better!

Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 02:37:51 PM »
I haven't really deiced what I want to fix for dinner.

I got some cash for Christmas and I bought a dual deep fryer. So I am thinking maybe to try it out with some fried chicken. maybe some Green beans and cream potatoes to go with is.

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 04:45:13 PM »
Today we made the roasted potato's and smoked sausage that I started this thread out with! The grown kids really liked it, the grandsons wanted something else so their Daddy made them some noodles. DD1 made cookies for dessert.

I have leftovers of both the potato soup from last night and the potato/sausage dish from today so no cooking tonight and maybe not tomorrow night either  :gthumbsup1:

Chloe~ Fried chicken sounds wonderful.
Avia

--Booker T. Washington