Author Topic: Canning - Freezing - Dehydrating  (Read 266 times)

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Canning - Freezing - Dehydrating
« on: November 28, 2016, 05:44:24 PM »
All these are what I have been doing while we have been on a break. My old computer bit the dust so I figured I might as well get busy.

I have canned chili, bbq , deer, beans (several kinds) Dried veggies, meat, and fruit Frozen some dinners, meat plus veggie.

DH smoked a deer hind quarter yesterday and I will be bagging it up for the freezer tonight.

Have you seen the add for the freeze dry home units?  I wish I had one  :Yes1:

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline creekwoman

Re: Canning - Freezing - Dehydrating
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:36:52 PM »
I haven't been doing a lot of freezing Chloe but in the last couple of weeks I've done; enchiladas, waffles, pancakes, browned hamburger and chili.  I like to keep things in the freezer for DH when I'm out socializing!  He doesn't like socializing, would much rather stay home and work, so if I keep things in the freezer for him I don't feel guilty. :3-chef:

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:02:17 PM »
 creekwoman  I agree it sure is a good thing to have freezer meal. It gave my DH some evening meal when He needed them.

This passed weekend DH smoked a deer shoulder. We sliced it up this evening for sandwiches, I divided then up for meals and they are in the freezer.

Offline luvs2quilt

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 08:36:38 AM »
I've been canning applesauce since the apples aren't keeping real well probably due to the unusually warm fall we have been enjoying, not complaining about the weather though, it's been nice.  Also canned beef, pork and chicken thighs and roasted an extra turkey on Friday and canned that too.

DH didn't go out deer hunting this year so we won't be having venison to can, that's okay we'll make do with everything else.

We just used up the last cartons of chili from the freezer so will try to make time to cook a big batch or two and can and/or freeze it soon.

L2Q

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 01:53:05 PM »
luvs2quilt  I do love applesauce I am sure you will enjoy it too.

I need to make more chili too. Right now I have some more deer meat in the canner. I am trying to get all the rest from the freezer as my son said they
already have 2 deer for me over what they need. I am so blessed.

What is your recipe for the chili as I love to try out new recipes

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »
L2Q and Chloe - I'm also a lover of applesauce along with our great grandson Corey.  You can't get it on the spoon fast enough to suit that young man!!!   :1-giggle:

Chloe - I would also love to have one of those home freeze drying units.  Maybe in a few years when the novelty wears off and the prices come down I will be able to get one.   There are certainly many, many ways that one would be useful!!

Ladies - It certainly was good to hear from you all.  I've missed your words of wisdom and cheerful personalities.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama