Author Topic: newest work in progress :)  (Read 487 times)

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
newest work in progress :)
« on: August 12, 2016, 12:40:21 AM »
Things that are free are the easiest to begin accumulating, such as water. As we begin collecting containers such as clear plastic 2 ltr. soft-drink bottles or similar size juice bottles, its easy to wash & rinse them well, and fill with water from our home tap, be it supplied by a city water system or from a private well.

I recommend the addition of 4 drops of unscented, 6% bleach to treat clean drinking water for long term safety. If used for daily use (drinking, cooking, freezing ice, brushing teeth, washing hands, bathing, etc., then refilled & treated and returned to storage), there is seldom a need to dump storage water for rotation purposes, because it is automatically rotated as you use it for everyday use.

It is smart to have wells tested periodically, especially just before you start to use the water for emergency storage, but don't delay starting water storage if testing isn't immediately available for whatever reason. Just don't ignore having the tests done as soon as you can.

Once you get a test done, you can either continue adding to your water storage if the tests come back free of problems, OR if your water has contaminants  or other problems, use the previously stored water for your flower garden or for toilet flushing, and begin your water storage anew with well-drained, re-washed/rinsed containers and fresh, clean, treated water.

Always use licensed, professionals for water testing. Contact your local Health Dept. for water testing or recommendations on who to call on for the tests. MarthaStewart.com recently published a couple of interesting and helpful articles by Virginia Sole-Smith on annual testing of public water systems,  and more at...
http://www.marthastewart.com/1504251/how-get-cleanest-best-water-your-home
and a summary of four different water filters for our homes at...
http://www.marthastewart.com/1504240/best-water-filters-your-buck

I try to keep at least 2-3 months of treated water storage on hand for 2 gallons per person per day for drinking, cooking, washing & personal hygiene, so this is no small number of 2 ltr. bottles. Don't forget to include water for pets and animals.

Water storage should be kept in a dark, dry, cool place for maximum safety. If stored water happens to taste flat or stale it indicates the loss of oxygen from the water. To remedy the problem, vigorously pour it back and forth into a large container to reintroduce oxygen back into the water. Shaking a half-full bottle of water for a minute or two will also add oxygen back into the water as well.

If you can afford it, the purchase of a few cases of bottled water may come in handy if you have to travel or evacuate. Be aware that water weighs 8 lbs, 2 oz. per gallon

Note: Do not use milk jugs or opaque bottles for food or water storage. Most of these are made to be quickly biodegradable and may soon start leaking, especially if they are crumpled on a corner, etc.

-----------------------------------

As for FOOD that is free, look to individual packets of condiments and seasonings, such as ketchup, mustard, mayo, sugar, lemon juice, taco seasoning, soy sauce, creamer, salt & pepper, etc. are available in bulk packaging from Sam's Club, Costco, and other restaurant supply companies and individually with purchase from all take-out restaurant locations.

The packets are especially helpful if they are kept organized, stored in a dark, dry, cool place, and rotated for freshness. These seasonings can help liven our appetite and keep us from becoming bored with basic foods.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Re: newest work in progress :)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 12:53:02 PM »
Great post CL. !!

I hadn't thought about the water going stale and just putting the oxygen back would solve the problem.  :gthumbsup1:
Discussing the types of containers for storage was so true. The only way I use milk jugs for water storage is when I put them in the chest freezer not only for filling the space to keep the freezer for energy saving, I can use the water if I needed it.

I found this on the CDC
 For more information on testing your water visit one of the site below or contact your local health department or the EPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline at (800) 426-4791.
•Well Water Information Based on Where You Live (United States Environmental Protection Agency)
• State Certified Drinking Water Laboratories (United States Environmental Protection Agency)

They have a lot of info on testing all types of water systems

Testing Water

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:38:06 AM »
Thank you Chloe. :gfriends1:
The info and links you added were exceptionally good.

I still need to scan other "In the beginning of food preparedness..." info and tips from other posts before I can consider this "DONE" but I think we're on the right track and can have it finished soon. If you or anyone else comes up with more ideas, please do post them here quickly so they can be included. Each of these stages of beginning food preparedness will have threads of their own and will include a variety of possibilities since there is no ONE right way for everyone to do this.

A successful food storage plan is one that provides what you and your family need in the midst of the disasters/emergencies that come your way. :whisper: You can quote me on that. :1-giggle:

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:23:33 AM »
I have been seeing advertised a home freeze drying unit. It is still some what pricey but maybe it will come down in price.

they say the food will last 25 year with out refrigeration.

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.