Author Topic: homecanned tomato products  (Read 1612 times)

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
homecanned tomato products
« on: August 03, 2014, 08:08:26 PM »
I've been doing some canning this past week and today from DH's homegrown tomato's.

tomato relish (12) half pint jars

pizza sauce (13) of the 12oz jars

salsa (24) half pints jars Actually (23), as I had put the last 3 in the BWB canner 1 jar broke, ugh. I just pulled the other two out and when they cool down I'll transfer them to freezer containers.
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Re: homecanned tomato products
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
avia  what is the tomato relish like. I don't think I have ever tasted tomatoe made this way.

Recipe Please  :1-pplease:

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
Chloe~ I'll put the recipe up soon. I was in the process of doing it when I ended up with a lap full of little boys LOL, and they were fascinated by the smilie's! By the time they left I was too tired to even think about it and now I'm in bed!
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »
Tomato Relish
(12) half pint jars

This recipe was handed down to me from DH's family. I cut the recipe down from the original (it called for a gallon of drained tomato's) and changed the processing from just open kettle and bottling up with hot sterilized lids and jars to processing in a boiling water bath.

2 quarts of cut up and drained tomato (I do large dices)
2 onions chopped
2 bell peppers chopped
2 hot peppers finely diced
1 cup of vinegar (I usually use cider vinegar)
1 and 3/4 cups of sugar
1 heaping tablespoon of pickling spice in a spice bag or wrapped in cheese cloth
canning salt to taste (I start with a teaspoon)

Mix all ing. in a large pot and cook until thickened and reduced. Ladle into hot sterile jars, wipe rims clean and put on hot sterile lids. Place in boiling water bath and process for 15 min. for 1/2 pints. It's really yummy on peas and beans!

*NOTE* I'm not qualified to make the final decision on how long this needs to be processed. As I said the original recipe didn't call for any processing and at the time that I did some searching through canning books and this time was right for comparable recipes, but that was also before the new changes for tomato products that have come up in recent years.
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »
 :thankyou: Avia  For posting the recipe

I just saved your recipe as it sure sounds good to me.

:gthumbsup1:

Offline luvs2quilt

• OCH Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »
Avia, your recipe sounds really good, I've saved it, too and may try making it tomorrow, when I have more tomatoes, gotta try new ways to use those lovely red gems.

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
Does anyone besides me make homemade ketchup?  I haven't done it this year, but my kids never tasted "store-bought" ketchup till they started school.  I remember our oldest coming home the first day and as serious as a heart attack saying "Mom, I don't know what those people did to their ketchup, but it sure didn't taste like yours!"  :1-giggle:

If there is any interest, I will be glad to post my 'tried and true' recipe.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:54:38 PM »
I would love your recipe. It has been years since I made any myself too.

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 01:17:11 AM »
I'll get it for  you tomorrow afternoon , Chloe.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 02:08:29 PM »
This has been used by me for over 40 years and for many, many years prior to me by a little lady from Falmouth, Kentucky who gave it to me from her family.

Ketchup
2 gal tomato juice
1 tbsp salt
2 shredded onions
3 cups vinegar
2 tbsp pickling spice (in a bag)

Boil down by 1/3 and then mix in:
4 cups white sugar
6 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp red pepper

Boil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.  Pack and seal immediately. 

I don't remember how many pints this makes and Mickey never told me a number that she got with it either. I've just always used it when we would have an over-abundance of tomatoes.  The kids love it.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »
Thanks for the recipe EM.  :gthumbsup1:

It sound so good.
I Will put it in my canning file for sure  :)

Offline luvs2quilt

• OCH Staff
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 09:06:44 AM »
I didn't have a chance to try EM's ketchup recipe but I did make a batch of Avia's Tomatoe Relish, OMG, it is so good!  I'm saving both recipes to make next year, I've seen enough tomatoes for this year.

L2Q

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »
So glad you like it. DH and our son-in-law love it, in fact the first time DSIL had it he said "I could drink that" LOL! Yes he is a nut!
Avia

--Booker T. Washington