Author Topic: Back Home  (Read 821 times)

Offline AtWitsEnd

• OCH Staff
    • Sitting Under The Family Ttree
Back Home
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:10:32 PM »
Back home from PA today. My yard guy was here yesterday and took care of most of my damage and will return tomorrow to mow, edge, etc. Still has some wood to cut and remove but the two big trees that came down are gone. I missed it all being in PA for grandson #2's 4th birthday. I know I was better off up there but it didn't eliminate the stress of not knowing what was happening to my house.
Tomorrow is trash day so everything in my fridge and freezer will be going. 68 hours without power is a little too much to save anything. HOWEVER, the good thing is that since the fridge will be empty I'll get a bucket of hot soapy water and clean it and the freezer out.

I hope everyone was safe from Irma and did not have any property damage.
AWE  :smileyflag:
"The difference between a dream and a goal, is a plan."
Check out my Etsy store:
www.etsy.com/shop/theamberdragonfly1

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
Re: Back Home
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:17:18 AM »
So glad to hear that you were safe and sound through the storm and that your property is mostly ok.  You are truly very fortunate, but I'm sure you know that.  I've been thinking of the Our Country Haven 'extended family' who were caught in the devastation of both Irma and Harvey and hoping all are safe. 

Thank you for letting us know that you and your property made it through, unlike many, many others.  Have you heard from QM?  I know she lives in your general vicinity.  Please ask her to check in so we know she's alright also. 

Here's a big OCH  :icon_hug: for you and yours.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline AtWitsEnd

• OCH Staff
    • Sitting Under The Family Ttree
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »
OMG Elle Mae, I am so sorry I did not come here earlier and let you all know that my dearest friend of 45 years QM has passed away in July from a cancer which was a complication of her COPD and many other ailments. Surrounded by her loving family she slipped into a peaceful sleep and left us all heartbroken and missing her every day. Her husband Frank, daughter Stacey survived Irma with little damage. Both of their power went out AFTER Irma was through and was off for several days. All O.K. now. Their other daughter took family up to Mass, came back to nothing. Their house had suffered some damage from something else before Irma and they were moving when Irma decided to arrive. They are staying with Frank now and looking for a new place to live.

Four garbage bags of food out in the trash today. I went to the grocery store, spent $80 and barely put anything in the fridge, nothing in the freezer but one Maria Callendar Pot Pie. It is truly pitiful.  :2funny:

I am hoping that everyone else has not had any damage. With everything out in the ocean presently, it looks like it's going to be a really active season.

Enjoying my peace and quiet now that I'm home. The yard guy came again today and finished up. Looks really good and almost back to normal except for the trees that fell. Of course the dead one that I have been hoping would fall is still standing tall, grey and dead as a doornail. Go figure.

Thanks for the  :icon_hug: Always appreciated and right back at 'ya.

Eat, drink and be merry.
AWE  :smileyflag:
"The difference between a dream and a goal, is a plan."
Check out my Etsy store:
www.etsy.com/shop/theamberdragonfly1

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
AWE, I am truly saddened to learn of QMs passing.   :imsorry:  :icon_hug:  Though I never had the pleasure of meeting her in person, she seemed to be such a talented and caring person.  My world was brightened by reading her posts and enjoying the pictures of her work. 

I can't begin to imagine the devastation you all are dealing with.  I've been through several tornadoes, but they are here and gone, they don't linger for days as hurricanes do.  I'm sending you a PM with my phone number in case I can help you in any way.  Please feel free to call me.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama