Author Topic: Revamping firearms  (Read 351 times)

Offline lee1959

• OCH Staff
Revamping firearms
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:08:25 PM »
Have started having issues in several areas which has led to an overhaul of my firearms. My eyesight is getting old, figure that, and I am having trouble seeing the sights on my old Makarov, plus I had to fulfill a promise to give it to my nephew when he got old enough and got his CCW which he has. Also am getting the onset of arthritis in my shooting thumb especially, and my doctor recommended dropping down in handgun calibers to stave this off as log as possible.

Therefore, going out are the 45s, and 44 magnums. In are 357 magnums for hunting revolver, and 38 specials for HD and carry use. For CCW it will be .38 special in revolver and .380s in pistol. Looking around and finalized on the first actual replacement weapon, This one is dedicated to my new GHB where I wanted a high capacity pistol and I picked a Bersa Thunder Combat Plus which is a 15 shot .380. Next purchase will be a single stack .380 for summertime CC use. 

Recent CC handguns

Latest purchase

Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Re: Revamping firearms
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:10:53 PM »
  lee1959 I am sure it is hard to give up all the ones you are use to . As we get older we all have to fine new ways of getting on.

As I remember didn't you have a hip replacement too.

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 12:39:01 AM »
I'm developing periphereal nerve damage in my hands - though currently it's mostly in my fingers - so I will be looking at making some changes myself.  It seems as though each day I like getting older even less than the day before.

I currently use a 9mm with an 8 shot magazine.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline lee1959

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 04:39:24 AM »
Chloe, two of them actually, both hips were destroyed by arthritis and have been replaced.

Elle, you did not mention what the problem was, pain, finger mobility problems. If it is pain you may wish to move down to a smaller caliber, but, be careful if you do, blowback like what I picked up might not be the best option. For myself it was so much smaller than the .45 the recoil is not bad, but a locked breech might be best in .380.

If it is finger mobility, something like a SA auto might be the best solution. Or at worst a striker fired .380 pistol. DA only or DA first shot might have too long a trigger pull to be good for you.

Possible choices:

Hammer and or SA?DA or DA only options

EAA Pavona in .380
Sig P250 Compact or Subcompact in .380

SA but require cocked and locked which is perfectly safe but looks scary for some people

Sig P238 (my favorite and on my short list for CCW)
LLAMA Micromax, new version
Rock Island Baby Rock

Striker

Glock 42 - not my taste but perhaps the best choice for many

Then there are revovlers if you can shoot them

Taurus M380 in 380 uses moon clips
Ruger LCR in .22 magnum - small caliber but the .22 magnum is far from useless

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
Lee, I was thinking about a 22 myself.  My very first pistol was a Sport King 22 magnum with like a 10 or 12 shot mag. I'm probably aging myself there, but I loved that weapon.  As a kid I remember it being easy to load and also easy to handle.  And though this part is not important, it looked wicked.  Maybe I'm only remembering the good parts...lol

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline lee1959

• OCH Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 05:59:38 PM »
I might go with a .22 magnum in that case. The extra power is very important in that caliber and it is truly a big difference. One thing to remember with 22 handguns is they have a reputation for being VERY finicky about what ammo they will and wont work with. Find the ones that do, with HP for self defense, and stick to them. Another thing is they need to be kept very clean, .22 ammo very often has a waxy coating on it which can gum up a semi-auto. Lastly, learn to get very good at clearing the chamber ad chambering a new round, .22 rimfire ammunition is the ammunition most likely to misfire, especially anything kept for a year or two.

Honestly in a .22 I would go with a .22 magnum revolver first because of the ability to simply pull the trigger again if the round misfires and it takes away the problems of a gummed up action, thus being more reliable in a SD situation. BUT, and this is an important BUT, there is one .22 magnum pistol which I just might take the chance on and make my primary handgun, the Kel-Tec PMR30, a 30 round .22 magnum pistol, yes 30 rounds, and its in a very smallish pistol for that big a payload. BUT, and this is a huge but, I would also carry something like the Ruger LCR in ,22 magnum at the same time, just in case the .22 semi-auto flaked out.

I have considered the PMR30 more than once, and still am going to pick on up one of these days. But they can be hard to find so be prepared to look a while, they are extremely popular and sell out fast.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/pistols/pmr-30

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 10:21:26 AM »
Lee and Elle Mae I find your impute very interesting. As we get older it is good to know what other are getting to fit their needs.

I hope more will jump in and give their thoughts and ideas  :gthumbsup1:

Lee has the surgery give you a lot more mobility  :gquestion2:

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.