Author Topic: GHB vs BOB  (Read 282 times)

Offline lee1959

• OCH Staff
GHB vs BOB
« on: December 03, 2016, 02:16:50 PM »
It can be confusing sometimes when you hear all these names people have dreamt up for different kits. These two kits, the BOB, and GHB can be especially confusing for some to keep separate, afterall they are both kits with emergency supplies for a person to use to get from point A to point B during an emergency crisis.

The difference is in the destination point the kits are geared towards ,and the average duration of the journey. The GHB is a short term kit designed to get you back home if things fall apart while you are away. This kit should be kept with you at all times, and is geared towards the destinations you may normally be expected to visit. Its not designed to say get you from New York to LA, but instead to get you home from work if your normal mode of travel is interrupted, most often meaning you are on foot and have to walk home. In this case if you normally drive for up to an hour, this means foot travel of up to a day or so, meaning this kit should help sustain and protect you for that time duration. Usually this means one or more meager meals and a small supply of potable drinking water are all that is needed food and drink wise, as opposed to the BOB which often can sustain its user for a period of up to a week or more. Seasonal considerations are of course important in the GHB and its contents should constantly be upgrade and rotated to accommodate seasons and personal conditions. One important added thing to the GHB is clothing suitable for travel during the season. In my vehicle there are boots, and additional clothing which can be used if reduced to foot travel.

The BOB on the other hand is a larger kit designed to help one move from ones home to a secondary safer locale under conditions of extreme danger. This may mean a day or more travel to anoher safe locale away from some natural or manmade disaster. As such the BOB must be larger and more comprehensive. It should include copies of all important papers which you may need to rebuild your life once things return to normal. It also needs to include a lightweight food supply for the duration and water, including a means of purifying water resupply because few can carry the amounts needed for a multi day trek. It should also include changes of clothing, especially needed in cold climes where travel may dampen the clothing and bring dangers of hypothermia. Because of costs involved my BOB uses my GHB as part of its contents and carry. I highly recommend that though is giving to carry methods and that some form of wheeled transport carrier is included if reduced to foot travel.

GHB contents (a sample of my own and is not inclusive designed to help me navigate home from work which is 20 miles) 

Handgun with 3 loaded 15 round magazines
Spare ammunition for CC handgun - currently 2 5 round speed strips for 38 special
Fixed blade knife
Folding saw.
Fire starter kit
First aid Kit
Compass (in case overland travel is preferable to following paved roads)
Map
Gloves
Spare socks
Knit cap
Several flashlights including one bright tac ight, a low lumen long running headlamp with red filter to maximize night vision and a covert nose flashlight which helps move about with little chance of being seen
Space blanket
Jerky
Two bottles of water
Multitool

BOB
Handgun with 3 loaded 15 round magazines
Spare ammunition for CC handgun
Magazines and ammunition for 30 carbine
Firearms cleaning kit
Fixed blade knife
Folding saw
Fire starter kit
First aid Kit
Compass (in case overland travel is preferable to following paved roads)
Map
Gloves
Spare socks and underware
Knit cap
Several flashlights including one bright tac ight and a covert nose flashlight which helps move about with little chance of being seen
Space blanket
Wool blanket
MREs allowing for up to 7 days
Two bottles of water and steel cup designed for boiling contaimated water.
Water filter
Iodine water tablets
Multitool
Waterproof bag to put the pre-prepared bag of documents including wills, birth certs, deeds, insurance papers, and other important documents
Personal medicines and copies of all prescriptions

Hope this gives one a bit of food for thought, and maybe a place to begin looking at their own requirements.
Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Re: GHB vs BOB
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:27:56 PM »
Thank you so much Lee  :gthumbsup1:

I am so glad you helped explained the difference in the types of Kits.

It does get rather confusing as to what each kit supplies and for how much time.

Also by your post reminded me I need to check on the things in GHB for our trip soon. 

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline lee1959

• OCH Staff
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
Upgraded my GHB today by replacing the knit cap with a fleece balaclava which can be a hood, hat, scarf, or facemask. Also added two medical facemasks, for obvious reasons including medical, and smoke/particulate relief.
Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
I never thought of a balaclava till Christmas were several people got them.

Now I want one too

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.